Saturday, July 31, 2010

How Will You Remember?

I love Pearl Harbor and all the history that goes along with it. I've probably been there 4 or 5 times and can't wait to go back. Before the your tour, you can go and walk around the museum and just . . . take it all in. After that, you start the tour with a short documentary full of pictures and stories (which the title of my post comes from), and then you take a short boat ride across the harbor and visit the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. The feeling I get there is a somber, yet peaceful one. It's amazing to me that just below where I'm standing are some 1,100 of WWII's greatest heroes, entombed in the sunken ship. There's still oil leaking that rises to the surface of the water, known as "black tears," that makes it all feel so real to me. So many died there during the attack on Pearl Harbor, but just being there makes my heart swell with pride. I love our country and the people that fight for it! How lucky are we to live in such a wonderful place with so much diversity and freedom. Strive to go to this sacred place one day, and hopefully you'll be able to feel the same pride and thrill that I do . . .




























3 comments:

Matt n' Jenni said...

Oh man your post are making me so homesick. If I still lived there you guys would have been like two minutes from my house:( I think I may just move back one day.

Merrills said...

So jealous you took your baby to Hawaii. You guys look so cute! I am slowly but surely trying to get my blog caught up. One day.

Amanda B. said...

I love Pearl Harbor! I have some fun memories of going 2 or 3 times with you and Todd. It is such a sacred place and I never failed to get choked up there no matter how many times we visited.

Our Little Angels

Our Little Angels
Brock and Mia, April 17, 2007